Reminder – Monday 26th November, Ark Network Hub Day – School closed to pupils
Ark will be holding their annual Hub Day and the school is closed to pupils. Pupils return as normal Tuesday 27th November.
ARK Elvin Academy Sixth Form
Sixth Form Introduction
ARK Elvin Sixth Form students are aspirational individuals who make the most of all opportunities to gain skills, abilities and experiences for university and career success. Our Sixth Form offers students a distinct community, with small academic classes, tutor groups and enrichment opportunities which are tailored to the individual. As the first year of Sixth Form study, students benefit from excellent pastoral care, university and careers guidance, and opportunities through the ARK network.
A level Programmes
Students are offered access to the A level programmes preferred by Russell Group Universities in order to secure the best possible higher education and careers options. These include:
In addition to academic subjects, our students are offered access to a range of enrichment opportunities alongside our ARK enrichment programme. These include:
- Enrichment Speaker Series; Run for 1hour on a Wednesday afternoon each week students are exposed to a variety of speakers under key themes such as this months “University Series” speakers who share their experiences of university from gap years to studying abroad to industry placements.
- After School Masterclasses: Run for 45minutes after school each week students experience speakers from external organisations, universities and inspirational speakers on a variety of topics from interview skills to time management to further reading.
- Opportunities Board: Emailed to students on Friday of each week is a summary of opportunities offered through the ARK network and our partnership links, from opportunities to intern at Merrill Lynch, additional programmes with the Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment, and mentoring programmes with UniMentors and LSE.
- Clubs and Societies: Students have the opportunity to take part in school activities such as mentoring and reading programmes for younger students, our weekly Book Club, debating programmes, sports programmes and links with organisations such as the North London Citizenship programme.
- Tutor Activities; our weekly tutor programme includes further reading, current affairs, PSHE and assembly programmes based around raising aspirations and world events. Students are active participants in the design and delivery of their tutor programmes.
Our Sixth form students have timetabled free periods in which to utilise on school facilities in which they have distinct Sixth Form areas to utilise. This includes:
- A dedicated section of the library area in which students can work quietly on computers, individually, or utilising the library resources such as books and journals.
- A pair or small group study room in the Sixth Form area for structured use during free periods with peers.
- A new common room area to utilise for breaks during the school day for short periods.
Our students wear professional dress in line with a working environment in order to prepare them for the world of work and higher education, this includes a formal suit, shirt and tie for males and a formal blouse, blazer and skirt/trouser for females.
UCAS and Careers Programme
Our centralised UCAS and Careers programme ensures at all of our students make an application to five universities of their choice. Students are given tailored, one to one support for their applications through the Head of Sixth Form as well as a dedicated member of the senior leadership team to mentor them in their final year of A levels. Students also work with our partners such as Into University to support their UCAS applications and our onsite Connexions support for careers meetings, support and guidance.
Every year our students have access to at least on employer trip which this term is to the prestigious KPMG offices. Students also have access to at least one university trip which this year includes University College London, Kings College London, and City University trips as well as support and guidance on attending university open days. Additional trips to support careers applications, such as to Inner Temple for students interested in a career in Law, are facilitated throughout the year.
Our Sixth Form works with a number of university partners including City University, Middlesex University, Reading University, London School of Business Management, Greenwich University, Imperial University, London School of Economics, Kings College London, and our local UCFB in the last term alone.
In addition, students have access to a wide range of external speakers, workshops and resources through our links with Into University, North London Citizens, Team London Young Ambassadors, My Bank, Career Crowd, What Uni, UCAS, and Student Finance as recent examples.
These links allow our students to access a wide range of work and university contacts, to conduct professional networking, and to gain a breadth of expertise from both internal and external sources.
Pupil Leadership Committee
Our Sixth Form students are offered the opportunity to apply for highly competitive positions on our Pupil Leadership Committee in order to be involved in the decision making and running of the academy through student voice. Each year a Head Boy, Head Girl and Lead Councillor position are elected who have weekly meetings with our senior leadership teams. Our Pupil Leadership Council (PLC) includes roles from House Leaders to Community Organisers to Literacy Leads. Students therefore act as ambassadors and role models for key academy events and leading young year groups. This also includes a dedicated set of editors for our school magazine published half termly.
We are welcoming applications to our Sixth Form for entry in September 2015. To register your interest, please click on the link below to input your key details and we will contact you when our application process opens in January.
For any additional questions about Sixth Form or to arrange a visit, please contact our Assistant Principal for Key Stage 5 Ms Laura Megaw on L.Megaw@arkelvinacademy.org.