The Sophia Duleep Singh Library
The school library is open every weekday from 07:45 until 16:30.
Pupils may visit the library for studying, reading or attending academic events. The library’s 10,000 physical and digital resources help support pupils with their learning.
Library books are loaned to pupils for up to two weeks. If resources are needed for more than two weeks, loans can be renewed in the library or online.
For all library inquires please email the librarian at email@example.com.
The library collection currently holds 10,000 physical and digital resources. Including:
- Audio books
- Careers information
- College, Sixth Form and University prospectuses
- Dual language books and books written in other languages
- Dyslexic-friendly books
- Graded readers for pupils new to English
- Graphic novels
- Large print books
- Magazines, newspapers and periodicals
- Plays and scripts
- Textbooks and Revision guides
Using the Online Library
Pupils can access the library collection remotely using the library’s online platforms.
Key Stage 3 & 4: The Sora Reading App
The Sora App allows pupils the read an extended list of the library’s ebooks and audio books.
The Sora App can be downloaded and used on all smart phones, tablets and PCs. It can also be opened in a web browser: https://soraapp.com/welcome
The Sora App offers pupils an interactive reading experience. When viewing ebooks on the Sora App, pupils can highlight text on the page, leave notes in the margins, quickly locate dictionary definitions and listen to a narrator for difficult passages in the text.
Sora encourages reading for pleasure. Rewards are earned when pupils use the App. A sophisticated ‘suggested reading’ component suggests new books for pupils based on their reading history and preferences.
Key Stage 5: The Reading Cloud
The Reading Cloud offers pupils in KS5 a library experience that mirrors that of a university library experience.
On the Reading Cloud, pupils can:
- use the library’s search engine to locate physical or digital books and resources
- reserve books to be collected from the library
- access tailored subject-specific reading lists for revision and homework
- explore databases of safe and reputable websites and journals
- write and share peer reviewed blogs and book reviews
- access the library’s ebooks and audiobooks
Pupils can visit the Reading Cloud here: https://www.readingcloud.net/
In 2018 Ark Elvin Academy moved into its new building. The move brought with it an opportunity to build a new school library. After months of planning, the library was ready to open on International Women’s Day. It was with great pride, that the library was named after the women’s suffrage campaigner, Sophia Duleep Singh.